Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Making Homemade Laundry Detergent













Im almost out of my homemade laundry detergent so today I decided to make a new batch. If you haven't tried this you should. It is good for the environment and also your pocketbook. I make a batch for about .80 cents and that lasts me about 2 months. It is just my husband and I but I was going through a bottle every 2 weeks.

You ask how do I make it.

1/3 bar of Fels Naptha or other type of soap I use a full bar of Ivory
1/2 cup of washing soda
1/2 cup of Borax

I use a plastic container with a lid so I can store it and I saved an old empty bottle to pour it in

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups of water and heat until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Pour 4 cups of hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for 24 hours and it will jell.
You use 1/2 cup per load.

I add lavender essential oil to mine. You can add any scent you like.
Once you use this you will never go back to store bought.

..~~~Peace~~~..

2 comments:

mayzbeadz said...

hi
this is kinda neat we are so much alike...
i garden first timer!!!! planted a lot like you did!! and i am a bead maker!!!! and my wife and i have cut out buying "real soap" for a while now we do the same as you now!!!!
i have something i use for the rest of my house as well as in the shower!!!
i use Dr.Bronners castile soap bought at health food stores i use the peppermint for cleaning and lavender for laundry!!!
so for the household cleaner i use about 1/2 c of dr. bronners and about two lids of tea tree oil in an old spray bottle
and the dr. bronners soap i use it on us in the kids shower and ours...i don't buy shampoo anymore or soap!!! i bet we save $100s over the year!!!
peace
may

TiLT said...

cool! thanks :)